The Orange Social Venture Prize rewards innovative and socially- responsible Information and Communication Technology (ICT) projects in Africa and the Middle East. Find out all about the winners of the 7th edition.
The Orange Social Venture Prize has become a reference for all entrepreneurs in the field of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) throughout Africa and the Middle East. In figures: 1,200 projects were submitted in 2017, up 60% from 2016!
Foster the development of local entrepreneurship
The enthusiasm shown for the competition demonstrates the tremendous pool of talent coming from the entrepreneurial community in these two regions, as well as the strong potential for innovation to improve the lives of their populations. The objective behind the competition is ultimately to showcase digital projects that have enabled progress in areas such as education, health, agriculture mobile payments and sustainable development.
The competition is in line with Orange’s approach to leverage digital technology to accelerate progress for as many people as possible, wherever the Group is present. “This is a great example of how we are contributing to the continent’s digital transformation; one that we hope will be united and sustainable” affirmed Bruno Mettling, CEO of Orange Middle East and Africa.
The 2017 winning line-up
Orange announced the three winners at the AfricaCom Awards ceremony, which took place on 8 November 2017 in Cape Town, South Africa:
- 1er prix : Manzer Partazer, a collaborative application to collect and redistribute surplus food (Madagascar)
- 2e prix : City Taps, a payment solution for running water (Niger)
- 3e prix : eFret.tn, a networking platform to optimise goods transportation (Tunisia)
- Prix Spécial Contenu Orange Content : Génie Edu, e-learning platform where disadvantaged pupils can watch video lessons (Cameroon)
- Coup de Cœur des internautes : Majika, supporting economic development in rural areas (Madagascar)
The three winners will receive EUR 10,000 to 25,000 to help them develop their projects. All prizewinners also benefit from 6-months’ personalised support from Orange experts.